Monday, March 10, 2014

Brown Booby and Hoopoe Lark today

I was out today with four people, three of whom were photographers. We wanted to see what kinds of birds were around, and went to the usual places to look for them. 

At Yotvata we saw several hundred each of Common Swifts and Alpine Swifts migrating, with some Barn Swallows and Red-rumped Swallows. In the southern circular field the balance seems to be shifting away from White Wagtail to Yellow Wagtail, with feldegg, and superciliaris subspecies about. There was also one dombrowski around, too.

While looking at the birds, I heard a familiar mournful song, and immediately recognized it as that of the Hoopoe Lark. It was very faint, and the other four around me had not heard it yet. I immediately went for the sound, but it turned out that it was quite far away. I hadn't realized how far the song carried in the silent desert, and started walking towards it. All five of us eventually heard the song. Directing my scope to the sound, I eventually managed to get a view of it, at maximum magnification, but still at a great distance a good 300 meters inside Jordan. When it did its characteristic dance, I knew where it was. One of the four with me managed to see, but it disappeared from view. The others heard it quite clearly. No picture, even with a 500 mm lens plus multiplier.

At North Beach, the usual pale-morph Western Reef Heron, and well into Jordan, the Brown Booby. Here are two shots from yesterday, grey, rainy and pictures with massive crop. 

Brown Booby

Brown Booby

No comments: